Sir Tim Berners-Lee, Skunkworks @ Strathmore
Strathmore University hosted an open session where a few interesting projects done by people around the skunkworks community got presented.
Sir Tim Berners-Lee (who by the way invented the WWW) was the chief guest.
Among the projects were:
- pesapal done by Liko Agosta – Verviant
- jahazi done by Mugambi – VST
- iScribe + Afrinnovator by Wilfred Mworia – African Pixel
- ushahidi by Emmanuel Kala
- sembuse by Mbugua Njihia – Symbiotic
- website.co.ke by Gichingiri – sokoletu
Sir Tim Berners-Lee gave us a brief background on how life was before the WWW. It is hard to imagine working without it in our times.
He also had some thoughts on where the web is going: web on the mobile, more web based apps using advances such as HTML5, geo-location etc.
A main concern for him and many others was how the WWW would be accessible for those living on less than a dollar. He mentioned the WWW Foundation which he had launched at the IGF in Egypt earlier in the week.
We hopefully will have more events like this next year.
Filed under: Internet, kenya, Technology | Leave a Comment
Tags: Internet, www